Police ID man in Chucky-style mask accused of harassing Center City pedestrians

District Attorney Larry Krasner has a message for the man accused of running after Center City pedestrians in a Chucky-style horror mask last week:

“Who’s running now?” Krasner said at a Thursday news conference where investigators announced they had identified the suspect as 22-year-old Zymire Hughes — and said it was possible he had already fled Pennsylvania.

It was the latest development in a nightmare-fueled story that has garnered national attention as images and videos of a man harassing pedestrians in the babylike mask went viral on social media this week.

Krasner said his office has issued a warrant for Hughes’ arrest for assault and related crimes.

The charges stem from the Aug. 12 morning that a man in a Chucky mask harassed and scared more than a dozen people near City Hall, including a 40-year-old woman who Krasner said was “severely injured” when she fell while running from Hughes in fear.

In all, investigators said, Hughes is accused of harassing around 16 people between 5 and 5:30 a.m. that morning.

Police documented the behavior through a host of camera angles due to the large number of security cameras monitoring Center City streets.

They saw a masked Hughes begin the harassment near 10th and Chestnut Streets that morning, where he approached a man who appeared to cower on his knees in fear, said Capt. Jason Smith of the Central Detective Division.

After Hughes harassed others in the Center City area, authorities said, his behavior culminated when he chased the woman as she jogged near City Hall.

Hughes asked the woman if she was “ready to die” during the confrontation, according to Smith.

After the woman fled, Hughes went into a Dunkin’ Donuts store near 13th and Chestnut Streets. He then entered Suburban Station, Smith said, where two SEPTA transit officers told Hughes to remove the mask.

He lifted the mask slightly but did not remove it. He calmly walked away from the officers, surveillance footage shows.

“He does successfully evade them,” the captain said.

Hughes later rode SEPTA’s 33 bus to his apartment near 23rd and Venango Streets, surveillance footage shows.

But Smith said investigators believe Hughes may have already fled the state.

Detectives learned he left his apartment with packed bags two nights ago. It is possible he may have gone to Los Angeles or Las Vegas, where he has connections through an employer, Smith said.

Meanwhile, they continue to consider whether Hughes was motivated to film the stunt and post content on social media.

Detectives have linked two TikTok and one Instagram accounts to Hughes. But the accounts do not include posts related to his alleged behavior from last week.

Investigators also do not believe Hughes intended to physically harm those he harassed, they said, given that he did not produce a weapon during any of the interactions.

Krasner said that Hughes could not run forever, and that additional charges could come as investigators urge anyone harassed by Hughes that morning to come forward.

The young man is currently on probation in Philadelphia for a criminal case out of Montgomery County, Krasner said, adding that he considered Hughes’ behavior last week to be a violation of those conditions.

“You think it’s funny to scare people?” the district attorney said in a message directed to Hughes. “Well, get ready to get scared by us.”